Thursday, May 20, 2010

Wildlife


I think these are heron "babies" -- I don't know what you call young herons, so I guess I'll just call them "hatchlings".

I think I'm over the hump with the pneumonia so I went to the rookery today with my XSi and the 70-200mm lens -- and a monopod to help me hold steadier than just hand-held. I didn't like the monopod at first, but it really helps with the extra weight of that lens! I do have an extender. Maybe I'll attach that and try again on the next clear day.
We've been having April showers in May here...

But 200mm doesn't get close enough to the nests, so I did have to crop to show the subjects. I used Lightroom to crop and vignette.



2 comments:

Chesney said...

I've never seen heron babies, this is a real treat! Very nice capture and great clarity!

Anonymous said...

They look all eye and mouth! This is a treat. So wonderful to see. The only rookery near by that I know of has been abandoned because bald eagles found the nests easy pickings. An unforeseen out come of the recovery of the eagle numbers...

Post a Comment